:: [DNG] Subject: Re: Distrowatch Dev…
Pàgina inicial
Autor: Robert Storey
A: dng
Assumpte: [DNG] Subject: Re: Distrowatch Devuan poll do-over
Subject: Re: [DNG] Distrowatch Devuan poll do-over
> Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2016 14:25:36 -0400
> From: Steve Litt <slitt@???>
>
> I just voted again, "ready to use" again. I'm able to vote multiple
> times because I'm originally from Chicago.

Actually, I really do believe that Devuan would be "ready to use" if that
little bug with the installer is fixed (the one that forces a netinstall,
even if you're not connected to the Internet). Once Devuan is installed,
it's rock-solid stable...at least that's been my experience.

I was talking (via email) to someone from this list the other day, and I
mentioned that I've installed/tested every final release of Fedora since
version 1.0 up until they went systemd-mandatory, and found it to be alpha
quality. Yet these were labeled as Fedora "stable" releases. Devuan
1.0-beta is vastly more stable, but the general public is not going to see
it that way as long as it has the "beta" label attached. So if we can just
get the installer thing sorted out, I really think we can honestly put out
version 1.0 and call it "stable" with a clear conscience.

I write occasional reviews for DistroWatch, and I'm planning a review just
as soon as 1.0 becomes official. So hoping that happens soon.

As for the vdev stuff, I think that's very important, but it can probably
wait for release 1.1 so we have time to test it properly. Just my opinion.

cheers,
Robert