:: Re: [DNG] Time sync at startup (was…
Pàgina inicial
Autor: Steve Litt
A: dng
Assumpte: Re: [DNG] Time sync at startup (was: vdev)
On Mon, 15 Aug 2016 04:21:45 -0700
Rick Moen <rick@???> wrote:

> If you cannot reach _127.0.0.1_ because 'your network settings were
> wrong during boot', you have somehow managed to achieve such an epic
> degree of TCP/IP failure that I'm not sure you should be running *ix
> machines. ;->
>
> Fortunately, I don't think that's even possible.

It's possible allright. It's as simple as:

ip link set dev lo down

called from /etc/runit/1 or /etc/runit/2 or whatever passes for those
things in the land of sysvinit.

In fact, on all my computers, I have a shellscript called upnet.sh that
makes sure eno1 (or whatever it's called these days) and lo are up, and
eno1 has a hard coded IP address. Or, on one computer where the
existence of eno1 for some reason prevents dhcp on wlp59sq427vette29 (or
whatever it's called), my upnet.sh sets eno1 down.

Crude, but VERY effective, and if you use the new ip commands, it works
on every distro, even (urk) systemd distros.

SteveT

Steve Litt
August 2016 featured book: Manager's Guide to Technical Troubleshooting
Brand new, second edition
http://www.troubleshooters.com/mgr