:: Re: [DNG] Time sync at startup (was…
Kezdőlap
Szerző: Rick Moen
Dátum:
Címzett: dng
Tárgy: Re: [DNG] Time sync at startup (was: vdev)

> On my workstations I have no caching DNS.

The term 'caching DNS' doesn't actually mean anything.[1] All DNS software
_caches_; even the stub resolver in glibc caches. I spoke of something
different and quite specific: a local recursive resolver.

And what I was saying is: You should run one on modern networked *ix
machine generally. Because it's 2016.

> There is one in the network that's the one that is in dhcpd.conf.

Even DHCP-client hosts can have local recursive resolvers. This is
useful:

http://qref.sourceforge.net/Debian/reference/ch-gateway.en.html#s-dns-resolvconf
or
http://roy.marples.name/projects/openresolv/index

> And even though you have an caching resolver, if your network settings
> are wrong during boot, there is nothing to be gained with a local
> resolver ;-)

If you cannot reach _127.0.0.1_ because 'your network settings were
wrong during boot', you have somehow managed to achieve such an epic
degree of TCP/IP failure that I'm not sure you should be running *ix
machines. ;->

Fortunately, I don't think that's even possible.

[1] Here is an article that may help you with terminology, one I wrote
after one too many person insisted on using the meaningless term
'caching nameserver': http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/lan.html