:: Re: [DNG] Time sync at startup (was…
Inizio della pagina
Autore: richard lucassen
To: dng
Oggetto: Re: [DNG] Time sync at startup (was: vdev)
On Sun, 14 Aug 2016 17:36:23 -0500
Nate Bargmann <n0nb@???> wrote:

> > When you install a new machine? Or whenever you boot and there is a
> > network problem, you will have to wait until ntp times out before
> > you can do anything. Normally it doesn't bother, but when you're
> > mucking about with machines you can run into this problem.
>
> Interesting.
>
> I've done plenty of installs or boots without a network and don't
> recall ntp blocking the system startup, at least on Debian and
> derivatives. I run it on all my computers.

When you have no network on the machine ntp notes that there is no
network, then it stops AFAIK. But if you have a wrong resolv.conf or
something like that you get the above mentioned timeouts.

Anyway, I think OpenNTP is a nice replacement although I have very
little experience with it.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak
aloud and remove all doubt.

| Richard Lucassen, Utrecht                                        |