:: Re: [DNG] Time sync at startup (was…
Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: richard lucassen
A: dng
Asunto: Re: [DNG] Time sync at startup (was: vdev)
On Sun, 14 Aug 2016 04:18:09 -0700
Rick Moen <rick@???> wrote:

> OK, thanks for the comprehensive comparison. Oddly enough, I don't
> have my regular Linux workstation around at the moment, and cannot
> recall how I usually resolve this; probably mostly by almost never
> booting. (Why shutdown when you can suspend?)

When you install a new machine? Or whenever you boot and there is a
network problem, you will have to wait until ntp times out before you
can do anything. Normally it doesn't bother, but when you're mucking
about with machines you can run into this problem.

<systemd bashing>

In the beginning, one of the reasons systemd was created was to
increase boot up speed. That's something I've never understood, because:

1) a laptop: suspend

2) a workstation: hibernate

3) a server never shuts down

4) the bios initialization of a server seems to be a natural constant.
Or even worse, I think a today's HP server takes longer to get through
the bios initialization process than one that is 20 years old. So a few
seconds for Linux to boot quicker doesn't make the difference.

</systemd bashing>

R.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak
aloud and remove all doubt.

| Richard Lucassen, Utrecht                                        |