:: Re: [DNG] vdev
Page principale
Supprimer ce message
Répondre à ce message
Auteur: Robert Storey
À: dng
Sujet: Re: [DNG] vdev
Hi All,

OK, I use Devuan as my main get-work-done distro, so I don't want to risk
accidentally nuking it. Therefore, I just installed another copy of Devuan
into a different partition. This is my experimental Devuan - I'm all ready
to play with vdev now. Before I pull the trigger, I need to clarify the
procedure...

> I think it's better to use the deb files that Aitor is creating for us.
> Just download the deb files here:
>
> http://packages.gnuinos.org/pool/main/

When you say "Just download the deb files" do you mean add them to
/etc/apt/sources.list? I'm a bit confused. Just to clarify, is this the
right procedure to install vdev...

1) Add a line to my /etc/apt/sources.list file saying...

deb http://packages.gnuinos.org/pool/main/

2) apt-get update

3) apt-get install vdev

Or have I got it completely wrong?

=================

-------------
> From: fsmithred <fsmithred@???>
>
> Don't let the test installation be the one to rule grub or even be the
> default choice in the boot menu. If the test system takes over the
> bootloader after installing it, reboot into the first installation and run
> grub-install.
>
> Keep a copy of the non-vdev initrd in the test installation, so you can
> boot with it if necessary.

I'm running grub-legacy, installed in a different partition, so I'm good. I
will take your advice about keeping a copy of the non-vdev initrd in the
test installation...thanks for mentioning that, Hendrik.

=================
> From: Adam Borowski <kilobyte@???>
>
> For anything that can break your system, and for running unstable, btrfs

is
> awesome. You can make snapshots at any point (most people have at least a
> daily cronjob), and then restore or mount live when you want. And when

you
> make it unbootable, you append subvol=backups/@2016-08-12 (or whatever
> you named it) in grub, and there you go.

Wow, wish I'd read that before I installed my test Devuan. I used ext4. Any
way to change that to btrfs without reinstalling?

=================
aitor_czr <aitor_czr@???> wrote:

> Of course, but for this particular purpose there is no need to make
> multiple partitions. Just use 1 partition for everything.
>
> You make a safe copy of a machine that boots. If you nuke the install,
> just reinstall the image or the snapshot. Always keep an
> extra /working/ image aside in case you really fsck things up :)
>
> Tip: use Proxmox, that's very simple:
>
> http://www.proxmox.com/en/

I haven't bothered with virtualization, but maybe I should. Might be
simpler than multi-boot (though I'm comfortable with that). I'll add
virtualization to my things-to-do list.

=================
> "Ismael L. Donis Garcia" <slibre@???> wrote:
>

>> To my mind would be a better option to opt for eudev that vdev as it
>> has greater support behind.
>>
>> I see half vdev orphan and do not think that support eudev go to
>> decant by systemd.
>
> And when Red Hat buys maintainership of eudev?
>
> SteveT

> And when RedHat you make a very attractive offer to Jude Nelson?
> That's just supociones. There will be "who" follow their development.
> No trust for such an important project and so connotation in only one

person
> behind.

I've heard that eudev is quite a kludge, in the technical sense, while vdev
is supposed to be simpler. Anyone here should feel to correct me if I'm
wrong about that.

I'm not worried about Jude selling out, and were that to happen, vdev can
always be forked anyway. But I'm wondering...is Jude too busy to finish
this project? Has he dropped it totally? If so, is anyone here able to
finish up what remains to be done in vdev so that we can get it out the
door and make it viable for the official release of Devuan?

I'm not a developer myself, and I couldn't finish vdev. I can/will install
it, beta test and offer feedback. I think vdev is a good idea - it's worth
doing, provided we can actually get it done.

=================

> > > On August 13, 2016 at 4:45 AM aitor_czr <aitor_czr@???>
> > > wrote:
> >
> > As you know, today is August 12, not August 13.
> >
> > PLEASE FIX YOUR COMPUTER CLOCK!!!!

Funny, after installing my test copy of Devuan, I started running into
clock issues too. Turned out that I had my original Devuan set up to see
the clock as UTC rather than local time, while my test Devuan had local
time for both.

For most users, life is simpler when the hardware clock is set to local
time. Anyway, if you've got more than one distro installed, at least be
consistent. So if you haven't discovered it already, check the file
/etc/adjtime and if necessary, change "UTC" to "LOCAL".

OK, enough entertaining stuff for Sunday morning (in my time zone).

cheers,
Robert