:: Re: [DNG] vdev
Inizio della pagina
Autore: Didier Kryn
To: dng
Oggetto: Re: [DNG] vdev
Le 05/08/2016 21:45, Steve Litt a écrit :
> Readhttps://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Mdev . mdev means no Gnome allowed,
> and neither KDE nor its apps allowed. That don't cross my eyes none, I
> banned all KDE software from my computers in 2012, and I haven't used
> Gnome since they went to the lame Gnome3. But a lot of Devuaners use
> KDE and Kmail, and we all know that somehow, K3b managed to be the best
> GUI optical disk burner in the world. These are challenges that must be
> overcome.
>
> More troubling is the article says LVM might not work with mdev.
> Replacing Gnome and KDE is just a matter of prioritizing "works" over
> "pretty" and "drag and drop". But LVM is integral to computer use. I'd
> say the "might" in "might not" needs investigation.

     Sorry guys, I don't participate in vdev testing yet. I'm trying to
reach a better understanding of how things are working.

     As I understand now, what X.org and other apps need is a library to
query information on devices - eg keyboard mapping - (and maybe to
change these properties?). libudev is such a library but libudev and
udev are mutually dependent. It seems to me that this dependency should
be broken. This is possible because all information is stored in files
under /sys, and not in some private udev store.

      In particular, vdev and libudev-compat would better be two
independent packages. Actually KDE, Gnome K3b etc most probably only
depend on libudev.

     Didier