:: Re: [DNG] Fearsome rumblings from G…
Αρχική Σελίδα
Συντάκτης: Adam Borowski
Ημερομηνία:
Προς: dng
Αντικείμενο: Re: [DNG] Fearsome rumblings from GNU
On Sun, Aug 07, 2016 at 04:26:59PM -0400, Steve Litt wrote:
> On Sun, 7 Aug 2016 20:00:17 +0200
> > I guess this is about weird, superflous quoting in “ls”:
> > https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=813164
> >
> > Debian was dilligent enough to revert the patch (half a year ago).
> > Fedora – not so much.
>
> So...
>
> Systemd is gobbling up our beloved OS, Secure Boot is forcing us to use
> corporate distros, Gnome is trying to rule our world, and we're worried
> about a small change to the ls command that affects only those so silly
> as to allow spaces and non-dash, non-dot, non-underscore punctuation
> into a filename?

If your needs are so small they're served adequately by restricting
filenames to not even the set of basic ASCII, that's you. As for me,
I prefer media files to have Unicode, spaces and apostrophes in their names,
and if it breaks a tool, it's a bug in the tool.

And regressing such a basic tool as "ls" is not acceptable.

> When the dust finally settles, if necessary one of us can write a ls
> substitute that does the right thing, whatever that turns out to be.

I don't accept init getting broken, neither do I accept that with ls.

--
An imaginary friend squared is a real enemy.