Til: dng
Emne: Re: [DNG] Fearsome rumblings from GNU
On Sun, 7 Aug 2016 20:00:17 +0200
Tomasz Torcz <tomek@???> wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 07, 2016 at 01:33:32PM -0400, Peter Olson wrote:
> > > On August 7, 2016 at 1:22 PM Brian Nash <bcnjr5@???> wrote:
> > >
> > > Greetings everyone.
> > >
> > > This is just a heads up, GNU has had a few changes floating
> > > around for a while, and it looks like they are finally making it
> > > into distributions.
> > >
> > > Currently, only Fedora is affected (which I doubt anyone here
> > > uses), but it is possible that these changes will make it to
> > > Debian as well.
> >
> > As far as I can see, the original poster doesn't say what the
> > change is. (Maybe some attachments got lost in the forwarding?)
> >
> > I haven't looked into the changelog of coreutils to try to find
> > out, but it would be helpful to know what is at issue here.
>
> I guess this is about weird, superflous quoting in “ls”:
>
> Debian was dilligent enough to revert the patch (half a year ago).
> Fedora – not so much.

So...

Systemd is gobbling up our beloved OS, Secure Boot is forcing us to use
corporate distros, Gnome is trying to rule our world, and we're worried
about a small change to the ls command that affects only those so silly
as to allow spaces and non-dash, non-dot, non-underscore punctuation
into a filename?

When the dust finally settles, if necessary one of us can write a ls
substitute that does the right thing, whatever that turns out to be.

We have much bigger fish to fry right now.

SteveT

Steve Litt
August 2016 featured book: Manager's Guide to Technical Troubleshooting
Brand new, second edition
http://www.troubleshooters.com/mgr