:: Re: [DNG] Politics of IT in the U.S…
Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Enrico Weigelt, metux IT consult
A: dng
Asunto: Re: [DNG] Politics of IT in the U.S. government
On 05.08.2016 00:10, Joel Roth wrote:

> What do you mean by "imperative" that contrasts with
> something that smalltalk has/does?

For example, explicit control flow vs. messages.

Oberon's elems framework seems to be a bit in the middle.

> I can't speak to C++ or Java. So when I talk about OO, I'm
> speaking through the lens of mainly perl where I commonly
> use OO.

Okay, scripting languages are a different area ... you usually
dont have all the memory management issues here, which makes
many things a lot easier for the programmer (with certain costs,
of course)

> To subclass seems so easy and natural way to deal
> with situations that would otherwise require
> conditionals.

Yeah, when often have to cope w/ disjunct variants, subclassing
is the natural way to go. But often, the problems are way more
complex, eg. having different aspects and behaviours, which might
even depend on other situations. In those cases, just class trees
arent sufficient anymore - especially if you need efficiency.
(reminds me on a discussion we currently have on dri-devel)

--mtx