:: Re: [DNG] Politics of IT in the U.S…
Page principale
Supprimer ce message
Répondre à ce message
Auteur: Joel Roth
À: dng
Sujet: Re: [DNG] Politics of IT in the U.S. government
On Thu, Aug 04, 2016 at 09:11:22AM +0200, Enrico Weigelt, metux IT consult wrote:
> On 04.08.2016 08:43, Joel Roth wrote:
>
> > In which language? Whose expectations?
> > Probably you never used OO much, or had problems
> > that OO is well suited to solving.
>
> I'd guess, he's referring to the imperative OOP, like eg. C++,
> Java, etc are doing it (smalltalk etc are quite different) - at
> least that's what I'm referring to.

What do you mean by "imperative" that contrasts with
something that smalltalk has/does?

ISTC the original traits paper is in reference to SmallTalk.

I can't speak to C++ or Java. So when I talk about OO, I'm
speaking through the lens of mainly perl where I commonly
use OO.
To subclass seems so easy and natural way to deal
with situations that would otherwise require
conditionals.

Something like $this_track->bus->dump or $this_track.bus.dump
seems clearer idiom than bus_dump(bus_of($this_track)).

That and subclassing really make it for me.

Anyway, my hat is off to you if you can get by with other
ways of working.