:: Re: [DNG] Politics of IT in the U.S…
Inizio della pagina
Autore: Renaud OLGIATI
To: dng
Oggetto: Re: [DNG] Politics of IT in the U.S. government
On Wed, 3 Aug 2016 20:50:53 +0100
Simon Hobson <linux@???> wrote:

> The banks - they have enormous amounts of "legacy" code which isn't broken and so isn't in need of fixing. Plus, the risks to them of replacing it is quite high.

The insurance company I worked for in France had umpteen million lines of Cobol in daily use, that needed maintaining and upgrading.

The real fun came in the run up to Y2K, when it was discovered some programs still in use, for which we only had the compiled executables, nobody could find the sources... ;-3(

Cheers,

Ron.
--
                 Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable
                  that we have to alter it every six months.