:: Re: [DNG] [Dng] What do you guys th…
Página Inicial
Autor: hellekin
Para: dng
Assunto: Re: [DNG] [Dng] What do you guys think about "Suggest" and "Recommends" dependency?
On 08/01/2016 01:55 AM, Daniel Reurich wrote:

> I think it may be useful to add a question into the installer about this
> (probably only in expert mode) rather than blindly change the current
> setting. Where we are rebuilding packages we could certainly review and
> potentially reclassify recommends as suggests where it seems appropriate.

Completely agreed. Offering the option to turn off automated
installation of recommended packages in expert mode would remind the
setting exists to people who would actually care for this kind of
details. It makes sense to keep a system minimal, but doesn't for
people who just wants things to work out of the box.

I suggest adding a paragraph in dev1fanboy's installer guide that
clarifies what Suggests and Recommends mean, and the consequence of
turning these off or on (the guide goes as far as to suggest setting
`APT::AutoRemove::RecommendsImportant "false";`, and although it
mentions the case of `ca-certificates` it fails to provide an extensive
review of the context.) Pointing at existing documentation in Debian or
quoting from it may be sufficient.

In general, any default changes from Debian should be well discussed and
well documented in advance. Such changes won't happen for JESSIE anyway
since we're aiming at *continuity* with Debian Wheezy: we may go faster
(e.g., using Slim by default instead of a more expensive GDM) but not in
a different direction, IMO. Devuan ASCII is where we can go wild, but
we won't go sneaky. :)

==
hk

--
 _ _     We are free to share code and we code to share freedom
(_X_)yne Foundation, Free Culture Foundry * https://www.dyne.org/donate/