:: Re: [DNG] Why Debian 8 Pinning is (…
Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Steve Litt
To: dng
Betreff: Re: [DNG] Why Debian 8 Pinning is (or isn't) pointless
On Thu, 28 Jul 2016 00:48:12 -0700
Rick Moen <rick@???> wrote:

> Quoting Simon Hobson (linux@???):
>
> > I too did some checking. From practical experience, one of the
> > ClamAV packages (IIRC it's clamd) has a hard dependency on
> > libsystemd0. Using dpkg --force-depends to install only that
> > package without having libsystemd0 installed results in ... it
> > failing at startup because it can't open the library.
>
> Out of curiosity, then, what happens if a file exists and can be
> opened but isn't libsystemd0? [Late addendum: The ClamAV developer
> _already gave you a better and cleaner solution_, which you haven't
> bothered to mention here. Any special reason why you omitted that?
> I'll fill that in below, in more late-addendum comments.]
>
> Like, find the tiniest lib with fewest functions you can, and cp it
> to /lib/[$ARCH]/libsystemd.so.[version] ?
>
> It would be interesting to find whether this package actually _uses_
> anything within libsystemd0 -- which would AFAIK be futile if systemd
> isn't present -- or whether it merely (a) checks that a library exists
> and is openable (dlopen) or whether (b) it looks up symbols/functions
> inside the library (dlsym).
>
> One of the ClamAV upstream developers claims it's in effect (a),
> saying 'it doesn't do anything if systemd isn't the active init
> system'. But you already knew this because the person he said it to
> was you.
> http://lists.clamav.net/pipermail/clamav-users/2015-June/001592.html
>
> [Late addendum: And, oh, wait: The same developer _also_ already
> told you that you could make the problem go away by using the
> 'equivs' trick -- which I have discussed before.
> http://lists.clamav.net/pipermail/clamav-users/2015-June/001601.html
> So, basically, you're claiming this is a huge unsolvable problem even
> though the developer handed you a solution on a platter, that you're
> not bothering to mention here. I see. Meanwhile, let's go on with
> the reply as I originally drafted it:]
>

> If the above test works, and I strongly suspect it would, then it's
> probably not hard to come up with smoother and more automatable ways.
> However, if I _did_ need package clamav (which I don't), _and_ if I
> were feeling paranoid about libsystemd0 (which I don't), then I'd
> just grab the package source and rebuild it using the debuild utility
> to omit the pointless and annoying library dependency and work around
> the packaging bullshit. And using debuild is not exactly brain
> surgery; a link to a page that walks you through that is part of my
> OpenRC conversion page.
>
> Please note that I do _not_ assert in any way that it's A Good Thing
> that you might be driven to do this (if you are paranoid about
> libsystemd0, which I consider a bit irrational). I'd certainly prefer
> if you didn't. Fortunately, short of that, rebuilding packages
> locally is a pretty easy second way.
>

> > I opened a bug, which was very quickly and quite abusively closed as
> > "won't fix", and was also told that "it doesn't work like that"
> [...]

Which brings us full circle. Simon doesn't want to keep playing these
games, wondering what kind of workaround he'll need next, as Lennart
decides to subsume yet another Linux functionality, or Debian's "DDs"
make yet another poor decision on dependencies. So he chose to go with
the fork.

I don't have the tech chops to know all the various ways Lennart can
screw up my life, nor do I have the technical chops to know (without
huge experimentation) how to work around Lennart's latest incursion. I
know the incursions will keep on coming, so why in the world would I
subject myself to them? Therefore, to my limited ability, I help the
guys who made the fork, and recommend the fork to those not compatible
with Void or Funtoo or PC-BSD (and most Linux users aren't compatible
with those).

And then there's this: I don't know anything about Simon's feelings,
but Debian's actions of 2014 disgust me. For me, continuing to use
Debian is an impossibility. Stupid technology comes and goes, but
betrayal is forever. They got arrogant, they got forked, and the
resulting Devuan community is one of the best I've ever belonged to.

SteveT