Til: dng
Emne: Re: [DNG] Ugly, ugly news
Quoting Steve Litt (slitt@???):

> I maintain that, for practical purposes, the preceding quote from dasein
> is completely true and not at all loose or rhetorical excess. Let's
> replace "init system" with "wheel" and "systemd" with "a car":

Your vocabulary word for the day: 'Synecdoche'.

Synecdoche means making a reference to a part of something, and having it be
understood to refer to the whole. People say 'bread and butter' to mean
livelihood, they say a 'suit' to mean a businessman, they say 'will you
lend a hand' with the implication of wanting the entire person. 'Ten
Downing Street' is short for the office of the PM and her cabinet.
'Whitehall' is the civil service. 'The White House' is the Executive
Branch. 'The Sublime Porte' was the Ottoman Empire's central
government. 'The Kremlin' is Russia's central government. And so on.

They also say, by the way, 'I'd like to borrow your wheels' to mean
'borrow your car.

But, anyway, I believe my point about rhetorical excess in this
particular case is self-evident, and so will decline to argue with your
conviction to the contrary. Have fun!