著者: fsmithred
To: dng
新しいトピック: [DNG] Desktop Environments (was: Why Debian 8 Pinning is (or isn't) pointless)
題目: Re: [DNG] Why Debian 8 Pinning is (or isn't) pointless
On 07/25/2016 05:57 PM, Rick Moen wrote:

> If you ever feel like trying a less-brittle Desktop Environment ('DE'),
> consider LXQt or Enlightenment. (A more-radical step would be no DE at
> all, which is my personal preference. To me, a DE is a goulash of apps I
> want with ones I don't, so I see no value in the ensemble. But as
> Prince Orlovsky said in 'Die Fledermaus', Chacun à son goût:
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6uEmtn56M0 )

I did try both of those, and we clearly have different tastes. My first
impressions of LXQt are that it's as pretty as IceWM (pretty ugly) at
twice the ram, but at least it has graphical configuration tools that are
easy to find. I know it's still young, so I've promised to give it another
chance. I liked lxde and used it for a while.

There was an early version of Refracta that had e-17 on Lenny (before I
inherited the project.) I was impressed with how much it could do with so
little. I even pulled some memory sticks out of the computer to see how
small it could get, and I was able to operate the desktop with terminal,
file manager and text editor with only 64MB.

The first systemd-free version of Refracta had openbox with lxpanel and
spacefm. I could see going back to that, but I have to answer to users,
and it looks like we're sticking with xfce for the time being. It really
is quite workable and should not be put in the same category as Gnome or
KDE. I don't have the patience (or hardware resources) for those two.

-fsr