:: Re: [DNG] F1 and special usernames …
Page principale
Supprimer ce message
Répondre à ce message
Auteur: Joel Roth
À: dng
Sujet: Re: [DNG] F1 and special usernames on the login screen
Jaromil wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Jul 2016, Joel Roth wrote:
>
> > Why do you like using a display manager rather than login
> > and startx?
>
> good question I wasn't daring to pose so far.
>
> login and startx (and ~/.xinitrc configuration) work like a charm on
> Devuan... and anywhere else FWIW. plus give you the big advantage of
> not having to start X to execute quick text-only tasks.
>
> FTR whenever I *need* a DM then I use XDM and ~/.xsession conf.

I'm a bit confused about .xinitrc and .xsession. Looks like
they're almost interchangeable. From 'man startx'

    Note that in the Debian system, what many people
    traditionally put in the .xinitrc file should go in
    .xsession instead; this permits the same X environment to be
    presented whether startx, xdm, or xinit is used to start the
    X session.

> the talent of golinux is the main reason why I'm keen to facilitate
> the sugar coating of Devuan, because her and hellekin's ideas may
> really bring some innovation in making pleasant the visual
> presentation of an OS.

Although repeating myself, I advocate distributions default
to login and startx, just so everyone gets the idea that the
terminal is available. Maybe if a sufficient multitude
appreciate and expect a terminal, we'll start to get a shell
in phones, tablets, etc. in future.

Unrealistic, probably, that seeing the terminal equates to
using it, but *never* seeing a terminal OTOH helps people
be unfamiliary and fearful.

Joel

--
Joel Roth