:: Re: [DNG] Open-RC on devuan - some …
Top Pagina
Auteur: emninger
Aan: dng
Onderwerp: Re: [DNG] Open-RC on devuan - some questions
Am Tue, 19 Jul 2016 02:43:59 +0000
schrieb Steve Litt <slitt@???>:

Hi Steve!

> The "wrapper around sysvinit" thing is a feature of OpenRC, not
> Devuan/Debian's implementation thereof. A little more explanation...
>
> [ . . . ]

Thanks for your patience! It's in some way a bit above my knowledge,
but the essentials i think i got. My excuses in advance anyway ;)

But let me say this: *FROM A USER POINT OF VIEW* OpenRC is easier, the
config scripts in /etc/conf.d are way simpler than those of sysvinit.
May be you remember, i also tried Void but, may be due to my linuxwise
incompetence, i found it not so easy to configure and sometimes (for
the wpasupplicant/dhcpcd thing) confusing.

Anyway, from theory, a suckless init as pid1 + openrc might be a slick
combo (?).

As for the respawn problem: I'm not sure, but i think OpenRC gives the
possibility to mark/flag/config certain daemons and/or processes to be
respawned. That might be better than doing that by default ... (?)

E.g., i would not like to have privoxy respawned automatically in case
something with its configurations does not work. But anyway ... I saw
you're hanging around from time to time in the manjaro-openrc group. I
think you might ask to artoo, which seems to be a quite smart openrc
wizzard.

And btw, in manjaro-openrc the scripts are configured as /bin/bash (or
sh? - for sure not as /bin/openrc; which is sometimes a problem when
you use directly a gentoo script: you have to think of this changement).