:: Re: [DNG] Why Debian 8 Pinning is (…
Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Hendrik Boom
A: dng
Asunto: Re: [DNG] Why Debian 8 Pinning is (or isn't) pointless
On Sat, Jul 16, 2016 at 12:44:33PM -0700, Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting Steve Litt (slitt@???):
>
> > Due to my needs, my situation, my beliefs, and my skillset, an OS from
> > the Debian project doesn't work for me. I've said why about 15 times on
> > two mailing lists. For *me*, what works is the Devuan fork. So for me,
> > the situation merited a fork.
>
> I'm glad Devuan works for you (although it would be more truthful for
> you to disclose here that you don't _actually_ run it; you use Void
> Linux and have an instance of Devuan in a VM that you normally do
> not use).

Whether he uses Devuan in a virtual machine is not directly relevant to me.
I appreciate that when he's tinkering with the innards of a distro it may be vastly convenient to do it in a virtual machine rather than bare metal, expecially if things go wrong.

That said, I find it immensely convenient that someone else is
providing me with a systemd-free distro that's a natural
continuation of the Debian I've been using for years. It's a
lot easier not to have to do the pinning and monitoring myself.
I dumped KDE and gnome when they turned weird a while ago. I
use icewm and xfce as window managers. I have no need for
systemd, and would prefer it stay off my machine.

You can pin all you want on your machine. You can replace
whatever you want on your Debian system. But Devuan is
for people like me, who like something that just works, and is
infinitely configurable.

I do wish you two would stop arguing. You seem to agree on all
substantive issues; you even agree that forking and pinning are
both methods of avoiding systemd. What's left is a matter of taste.
There's no point arguig about taste.

-- hendrik