:: [DNG] Gaffer tape: was Why Debian 8…
Page principale
Supprimer ce message
Répondre à ce message
Auteur: Steve Litt
À: dng
Anciens-sujets: Re: [DNG] Why Debian 8 Pinning is (or isn't) pointless
Sujet: [DNG] Gaffer tape: was Why Debian 8 Pinning is (or isn't) pointless
On Sat, 16 Jul 2016 10:00:07 -0400 (EDT)
Peter Olson <peabo@???> wrote:

> > On July 16, 2016 at 8:51 AM Simon Hobson <linux@???>
> > wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > > Duct tape, actually. It's like the Force. It has a light side
> > > and a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
> > >
> > > Duct tape is cool.
> >
> > Over here, the common term is gaffer tape. Duct tape is a common
> > term as well, and of course the commercial product playing on the
> > homophone (if I go the right word) with Duck Tape
>
> Gaffer tape and {duct|duck} tape are different products. Gaffer tape
> is less adhesive and is designed to be removed easily. It is more
> expensive :-) If you have ever used the other tape to secure cables
> to the floor and then uprooted those cables when tearing down, you
> will know the misery of trying to remove the other kind of tape now
> wrapped seamlessly around the cable.

Wrapped around the cable is the least of your problems: Duct tape can
damage the carpet, putting the presenter in a world of hurt.

Given that most of us give presentations requiring taping of cables for
safety, I think this is ontopic.

Where can one get gaffer tape especially created to tape cables to the
carpet for safety purposes? I've used wide clear cellophane tape up to
now, but that's not really as safe.

Thanks,

SteveT

Steve Litt
July 2016 featured book: Troubleshooting Techniques
     of the Successful Technologist