:: Re: [DNG] [D OFFLIST NG] Larcenous …
Etusivu
Poista viesti
Vastaa
Lähettäjä: Joel Roth
Päiväys:
Vastaanottaja: dng
Aihe: Re: [DNG] [D OFFLIST NG] Larcenous mail threads.
Hi Edward,

On Sat, Jul 16, 2016 at 07:45:23AM +0200, Edward Bartolo wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Steve Litt wrote:
> <<
> Ignore doesn't mean insult. It doesn't mean get all sad. It means not
> respond, and don't let it get
> under your skin. And you need to understand that this list is neither
> a C list nor a Rapid Learning list, so you need to pick and choose
> only your best discoveries and questions for the list. Other questions
> are pretty easy via experimentation plus web searches.
> >>

> "And you need to understand that this list is neither a C list".
> But it was this list that went into attack mode. Therefore, it made,
> and still makes sense, to show this thread what I am doing.
>
> "Ignore doesn't mean insult. It doesn't mean get all sad."
> Ignore means accepting the insult as the truth. That is the problem
> about that attitude.
>
> So, what I wrote, is an insult, while "cognitively deficient",

Edward, I posted to you a mail using that term. I thnk you
may have missed the context. It was ironic comment on
programmer frailty:

:     About choice of language. I read there are 191 undefined
:     behaviors in the C99 standard, which means an equal number
:     of tarpits waiting for the cognitively difficient coder.
:
:     http://blog.regehr.org/archives/213

I consider myself and believe most others to be cognitively
deficient to manage the details that make up our programs,
and that is why we have to get the most help possible,
writing more declarations, less procedural.

I am cognitively deficient to manage memory allocation
and to watch for silent undefined behaviors.

I need all the help I can get, and appreciate being coddled
in the orthogonal nest of a dynamic language programming
environment with automatic garbage collection. It is my
chosen heaven and hell, excepts for short friendly
trips to Shell Island, Awk Vista, or Vim Falls.

I support you programming projects in whatever language you
choose. Simple-Netaid is so good I forget that I'm using it.

For my own programming, I appreciate having facilities
available, In dynamic languages there are good
libraries for processing command line flags to my
applications, I can have --long-option or -s short option
and can specify what kind of arguments I can allow or expect
the flag to have.

Let someone else solve the problem for me.
Let someone else help me avoid edge cases.
That's what I mean about choosing to reduce my cognitive
load in programming.

I'm not afraid to write something if I have to,
anyway, you have to write to use another library,
and there is overhead with learning the library
all a trade off.

I benefit from iterative cycles, which are fast with a
dynamic language, and faster that I have an SSD.

I've used a full-blown grammar, appreciate the
power of that.

One reason perl boomed back when it did was the socket code.
Client server socket programming in C is pretty heavy duty.
I heard some new perl programmers coming from C were crying
with relief when they saw how much easier it is to the
socket programming in perl.

*And* it's right for you to do whatever your prefer.

Here's an interesting reference for C programmers:
JPL's 10 coding guidelines for safety critical software
projects.

http://pixelscommander.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/P10.pdf

And here is a short romp through the history of computer
science using perl 6, by Damian Conway, as a conference
keynote. A luminary in the perl community, he
is an architect of perl 6 and developer of a perl 5
recursive-descent parser library I've used in creating a
command language.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nq2HkAYbG5o

Have fun, Edward, doing what you love, and I wish you
a sufficiently thick skin to live among the jabs
of careless or crass communication.
And I wish for you that you can have a subdued or humorous
sense of drama.

Joel