:: Re: [DNG] C Obfuscated code: a virt…
Top Pagina
Auteur: Peter Olson
Aan: dng, Jaromil
Onderwerp: Re: [DNG] C Obfuscated code: a virtue or a vice?
> On July 15, 2016 at 5:12 AM Jaromil <jaromil@???> wrote:
>
> On Fri, 15 Jul 2016, Peter Olson wrote:
>
> > You misunderstand what the IOCCC is about. It's a game. Nobody
> > trying to write useful code will do anything like what IOCCC writes.
>
> well, I even argue is software-art :^) back 15 years ago I facilitated
> the inclusion of some IOCCC entries in this exibition originally shown
> at the MAK in Frankfurt, which then went pretty much around the world
> http://www.digitalcraft.org/iloveyou/c_code.htm
>
> but yes, its definitely not polite nor useful to obfuscate code that
> people uses. to the contrary, I think literate programming is the way

I'm a fan of Donald Knuth as well. My funny story is that when I was in college, I got an offer from Addison-Wesley to preorder the seven volume set "The Art of Computer Programming" for the low. low price of $119. It's now more than 40 years later and volumes 5, 6, and 7 are still missing :-) I'm glad I didn't take the offer :) On the other hand it is terrifically cool that he got so frustrated with the mechanics of typesetting that he developed TeX.

Peter Olson