:: Re: [DNG] Why Debian 8 Pinning is (…
Top Pagina
Auteur: Simon Walter
Aan: dng
Onderwerp: Re: [DNG] Why Debian 8 Pinning is (or isn't) pointless
On 07/14/2016 05:56 AM, Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting KatolaZ (katolaz@???):
>
>> I personally don't see the reason for such a reaction on your side
>> Rick (BTW, welcome here :)), but I am sure I am missing something. I
>> personally believe that all the work to avoid and contain systemd and
>> other nonsense is valuable, independently of where it comes from :)
>
> I cannot imagine why you would ever think I don't agree!
>
> I can only guess that you didn't bother to attentively read what I said
> -- because I think Devuan's work is valuable and have already said so on
> my OpenRC conversion page, on the referenced SVLUG mailing list thread,
> and on this mailing list.
>
> When you try to pick a fight with someone who admires what you're doing,
> just because he doesn't agree with you on every single particular, and
> _particularly_ when you attribute to him views he doesn't hold and whose
> opposite he just expressed, maybe you should relax a bit and consider
> switching to decaf. ;->

Hi Rick,

I want to give a little bit of constructive criticism.

"A fool is known by a multitude of words." That is not to say you are
fool. I don't know you. However, everyone is pretty busy. So if you want
to express something accurately, minimize verbiage and refrain from
using argumentum ad hominem. I read some of your conversation with Steve
on SVLUG. Because it was so long, I didn't read everything. However,
from what I did read, to me it you sounded like you had an axe to grind.

That might not the case.

It seems that you are asking: "What is the reason for Devuan when the
same thing can be accomplished in a simpler way?" I will try to answer
that from my experience.

I personally really appreciate what the people working on Devuan are
doing - even if I can do it exactly the same way with pinning.

I have built my own systems and later was a Gentoo fan. I needed some
cutting edge features that even Debian testing did not have. Debian was
refined and tried and proven. It was wonderful for servers along with
BSD. Do you remember those days? I respected their conservatism.

It seems to me Debian leaders want Debian to be the new shinny. This is
even before systemd existed. The leaders at Debian could have continued
to be leaders. Instead they became followers.

That is why I am thankful for Devuan and it's community.

By talking so much about this and that and wasting people's time, I
winder if you have an agenda to push.

So here is a disclaimer for you:

Perhaps something like systemd is a great idea for certain users on
mobile devices, etc. However, the way it's being created is questionable.

I am not looking for an answer to this email. I hope it helps you
understand one of possibly many (ex)Debian users.

Kind regards,

Simon