:: Re: [DNG] Systemd discussion on the…
Top Pagina
Auteur: Steve Litt
Aan: dng
Onderwerp: Re: [DNG] Systemd discussion on the Samba mailing list
On Wed, 13 Jul 2016 22:59:40 +0100
Simon Hobson <linux@???> wrote:

> Jaromil <jaromil@???> wrote:

> There's also been a short thread on the MythTV mailing list about how
> to get the MythTV Frontend to only start after there's a working
> network. It started with a user reporting that after upgrading his
> MythBuntu install the Frontend would sometimes start properly and
> sometimes start into the setup screen (which is what it does if it
> can't find the backend) - with no apparent pattern as to when it does
> or doesn't work. Of course, the upgrade put SystemD on the machine.
>
> The fun part ? For some reason that must have made sense to someone,
> networking is only started when the user logs into the desktop. WTF ?
> So the suggested fix is to disable the network manager and manually
> configure the network via /etc/network/interfaces.

I'm glad I wasn't drinking water when I read this, or there'd be water
all over my keyboard and monitor. Yeah, by all means, wait til the user
logs into the GUI to start the network. Geez, why couldn't *I* have
thought of that.

On a more serious note, this all plays into what I said last month
about Red Hat's failure to complete their takeover. I'm sure their
business plan called for all of Linuxdom to be happily working with
systemd by 7/2016, so they could start the next phase of their
monopolization. But as it stands, they're still having to put out fires
all over the place: A --without-systemd here, Devuan there, extreme
anger every time anyone on any list has problems with systemd.

How much did they budget for this takeover, and how much more are they
willing to risk? Could it be that, just like Microsoft before them,
they'll run out of money trying to fight a community that needs no
money to code, or to remove their booby traps?

I think Red Hat lives in interesting times.

SteveT

Steve Litt
July 2016 featured book: Troubleshooting Techniques
     of the Successful Technologist