:: Re: [DNG] OT: Lovecraft analogies t…
Page principale
Supprimer ce message
Répondre à ce message
Auteur: Jim Murphy
À: dng
Sujet: Re: [DNG] OT: Lovecraft analogies to systemd
On Mon, Jul 11, 2016 at 10:17 PM, Hendrik Boom <hendrik@???> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 11, 2016 at 10:40:50PM +0200, emninger@??? wrote:

-- snip --

>> Recently, i followed, as a silent lurker, a - german - dispute on
>> systemd, where frequently intervened Martin Vaeth, who is - IMHO - a
>> very reasonable person (author of several open-rc scripts for Gentoo.
>> In my poor - and non technical -words, he sustained, that, considering
>> the tendency of the systemd people to engulf more and more
>> essential/critical processes of the basic boot-up of linux, in a near
>> future only a distro like gentoo would have a chance to survive, since
>> its process of building (emerge) allows, to avoid the systemd
>> jabbawagga [1]. When i read that, i thought, the same should go for
>> slackware - in the linux ecosystem (given that they resist to the
>> systemd temptation, which seems to be the case ... (?)
>>
>> ----
>>
>> 1] I remember a novel of H. P. Lovecraft where there is a monster,
>> which, once it'll be awaken it would engulf all the world. I believe to
>> remember its name was jabbawagga, but it's only a vague memory ... ;)
>
> Did some searches and found nothing relevant about jabbawagga.
>
> There wsa a being in Lovecraft's mythology with a similar rythmm to its name:
> Tsathoggua
>
> But I don't recall anything about Tsathoggua engulfing the world.

Jabbawagga sounds more like Jabberwock a creature from
Lewis Carroll's poem Jabberwocky which he later included in
"Through the Looking-Glass and What Alice Found There"
where Alice slays the Jabberwock by cutting it's head off.
In Tim Burton's 2010 film "Alice in Wonderland" I believe the
creature was called a Jabberwocky if I remember correctly.

For what its worth.

Jim