:: Re: [DNG] inittab question
Αρχική Σελίδα
Συντάκτης: Simon Hobson
Ημερομηνία:
Προς: dng@lists.dyne.org
Αντικείμενο: Re: [DNG] inittab question
emninger@??? wrote:

> Dealing with a login (manager) problem, i looked into my /etc/inittab
> and i found this:
>
> ---
> # Note that on most Debian systems tty7 is used by the X Window System,
> # so if you want to add more getty's go ahead but skip tty7 if you run
> X. #
> 1:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty1
> 2:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty2
> 3:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty3
> 4:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty4
> 5:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty5
> 6:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty6
> ---
>
> Is that correct?
>
> I'd have expected any line to be:
>
> ---
> 1:12345:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty1
> 2:12345:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty2

Yes, on Debian the default runlevel is 2, and that's how they set the console logins. I guess they reckon that if anyone wants to use the other runlevels then they'll have enough knowledge to adjust this as required. No idea why they don't just set them all as 2345 - that's probably one of those "someone knew, eons ago - and it probably seemed like a good idea at the time" things.