:: Re: [DNG] Studying C as told. (For …
Etusivu
Poista viesti
Vastaa
Lähettäjä: Rainer Weikusat
Päiväys:
Vastaanottaja: dng
Aihe: Re: [DNG] Studying C as told. (For help)
KatolaZ <katolaz@???> writes:
> On Fri, Jun 24, 2016 at 09:44:31PM +0200, Irrwahn wrote:
>> On Fri, 24 Jun 2016 19:41:54 +0100, Rainer Weikusat wrote:
>> [...]
>> > If you want
>> > a mathematical example, picture somone always writing
>> >
>> > x / (1/n)
>> >
>> > instead of
>> >
>> > x * n
>>
>> Not to undermine your point, just a minor quibble: The example
>> is flawed in that above terms are not quite equivalent, as they
>> differ in their respective domain of definition.
>
> ..... not considering the fact that if n happens to be an integer, the
> first expression almost always raises a floating point exception
> (Division by zero), unless n==1... :)

The domain remark was, although correct, already pretty much besides the
point but this misses it completely: I wrote mathematical example
because this was meant to be a mathematical example. Provided that 1/n
is defined, that is n is not 0, x / (1 / n) is by definition the same as
x * n. That's 6th form (in Germany) fractional arithmetic: Dividing a
fraction by another fraction is accomplished by the first fraction by
the inverse (German: Kehrbruch, no idea how that's called in English) of
the second and everybody "whose brain is wired correctly" ought to
understand that. But inverting the expression in this way is
nevertheless a simple form a steganography.