:: Re: [DNG] Studying C as told. (For …
Top Pagina
Auteur: Edward Bartolo
Aan: Steve Litt
CC: dng
Onderwerp: Re: [DNG] Studying C as told. (For help)
I think,

In this discussion about 'goto' we are forgetting one important fact
about it. This is, the fact that 'goto' is simply a jump and a
corresponding lable. This makes 'goto' jumps possible at any point in
code which is absolutely not necessary. Evolving from simple 'goto'
and lable statements, got rid of many situations where goto would
have made code difficult to conceptualise as composed of modules. The
idea behind goto is not absolutely technical but a consequence of how
our minds work. Goto was replaced by functions, break, continue and
exit: the reason is that way the human mind can more efficiently
organize and visualise code parts according to its local purpose. I
think, we should not forget that our brains are essentially pattern
recognizing "neural computers": goto breaks recognition of those
patterns rendering code a mess of unrelated bits, hence the term,
spaghetti code.

Edward