:: Re: [DNG] How to stop udev from re-…
Pàgina inicial
Autor: Simon Hobson
A: dng@lists.dyne.org
Assumpte: Re: [DNG] How to stop udev from re-ordering devices
Rainer Weikusat <rweikusat@???> wrote:

> That's you're preferred set of workarounds.

I suspect that we're all in "violent agreement" that different users (or types of users) have different preferences and priorities. In the general case there is definitely an issue to be solved - just different approaches to doing it.

You appear to be approaching it from the PoV of an appliance builder. You have known hardware, can compile in all required drivers, and so the interface names (just based on discovery order/bus location) are deterministic until you alter something yourself.

I approach it from the PoV of an admin running "random" hardware (generally what I get as hand-me-downs from the Windows guys !). For me, using MAC addresses & udev rules works fine, and it's easy to manage - but I recognise why it won't work for your appliances and some other situations.

For some, neither of these is acceptable - hence them forcing stupid bus-location based device names on people.

For some, particularly those with just one wired NIC, it's probably a case of "Meh, what's all the fuss about, the kernel just calls it eth0".

The main thing is - there are solutions for each of us, as long as we hold the freedesktop guys at arms length. But after this discussion, I have a better understanding of what goes on in the background for my NICs to appear and get a name :-)