:: Re: [DNG] Studying C as told. (For …
Page principale
Supprimer ce message
Répondre à ce message
Auteur: Irrwahn
À: dng
Sujet: Re: [DNG] Studying C as told. (For help)
On Tue, 21 Jun 2016 16:42:02 +0100, Simon Hobson wrote:
> An interesting task would be to look at the various algorithms offered, work out how the compiler is likely to handle them when turning into code (or even look at the code generated), and then work out the efficiency of the different methods in terms of CPU cycles/character.
> Of course, it's possible that different methods may come out best depending on the amount of whitespace to be removed.

And results will differ depending on platform, toolchain,
compiler version, optimizer setting, and so on.

Another aspect beyond just runtime efficacy is this:

Source code is written for humans, not machines! Clarity and
simplicity can help minimize code maintenance cost, and thus
easily outweigh some slight runtime penalty. Whoever has found
himself in a situation where he had to spend a considerable
amount of time trying to grok what some "clever", "manually
optimized" code is supposed to do, knows what I'm talking about.

This is especially embarrassing, when your past self was the
wise guy who wrote that "clever" code a few months ago. (Been
there, done that, got the t-shirt, wore it out.)

Some "soft" but generally helpful rules to keep in mind:

* Deploy clear, simple, and generally well understood algorithms.

* Write easy to read and easy to maintain code. If that implies
using another helper variable, or a goto, or the like - so be it!

* Do not try to outsmart the guys who wrote the optimizing
compiler. Most of the early "brilliant" hacks often turn out
counterproductive on modern machines and/or implementations.

* 1. Make it run. 2. Make it run correctly. 3. Make it run
faster only if it really is the bottleneck in the total system.

My 2ct, FWIW.

Regards
Urban