:: Re: [DNG] How to stop udev from re-…
Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Steve Litt
To: dng
Betreff: Re: [DNG] How to stop udev from re-ordering devices
On Tue, 21 Jun 2016 08:14:57 +0100
Simon Hobson <linux@???> wrote:

> Steve Litt <slitt@???> wrote:
>
> > Of all the escapades of FreeDesktop.Org, managers of Lennart and the
> > Redhats, these name thingies are some of the least onerous. I put a
> > shellscript on the list a few months ago that delivers the wifi
> > device name, and that script can be used in init scripts and the
> > like.
> >
> > I mean, by all means use it as a talking point, but if it's actually
> > giving you trouble, look up my shellscript and use it.
>
> It's not giving me trouble, I'm still on Wheezy, and I use udev rules
> to rename interfaces to meaningful names anyway.
>
> But, I get the impression you only run "simple" systems.

The preceding is a fairly accurate statement, unless it refers to some
of the user programs I run.

> Once you
> start having firewalls (interface names in config file(s)),
> monitoring (interface names in config file(s)), data collection
> (interface names in config file(s)), ... it stops being something
> that you can "fix" with a script that will tell you what your
> interface is called today.

Good point. Here in my house, I trust everyone with a physical console,
so individual computers have simple or no firewalls. My Internet
firewall is pFSense, and every once in a while I use OpenBSD/pf instead:
I long ago gave up dealing with iptables. AFAIK, those merry jesters
from FreeDesktop.Org consider BSD not important enough to sabotage.

SteveT

Steve Litt
June 2016 featured book: Troubleshooting: Why Bother?
http://www.troubleshooters.com/twb