:: Re: [DNG] [OT] [Re: Studying C as t…
Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Irrwahn
A: dng
Asunto: Re: [DNG] [OT] [Re: Studying C as told. (For help)
On Tue, 21 Jun 2016 16:00:53 +0200, Adam Borowski wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 21, 2016 at 03:13:21PM +0200, Irrwahn wrote:
>> On Tue, 21 Jun 2016 14:42:46 +0200, Edward Bartolo wrote:
>> [...]
>>>     if ((c >= 'a' && c <= 'z') || (c >= 'A' && c <= 'Z')) {
>> [...]
>> You should *never* assume that the latin letters occur in
>> the execution character set in ascending consecutive order.
>> (Though similar *is* guaranteed for the digits '0' to '9'!)

> Not really -- assuming ASCII is like assuming 8-bit bytes[1]. Both could be
> false at the dawn of time, but today trying to support that is a waste of
> time. Too much code you rely on makes that assumption.

Neither is an excuse for not using isalpha() et al. instead
of above abomination. I'm not even going to mention the notion
of "character representing an alphabetic letter" differs between
locales. WTF, I just did, nevermind!

And "there's so much broken code already you rely on" should
never be an excuse to deliberately produce even more broken code.

> It's called
> "standardization".

Oh, what times! Oh, what standards! It is not covered by the
C standard, and I'm not going to make any guesses (however
educated) on what past, present, or future platforms my code
is going to be run. Or, *if* I did nonetheless, I'd provide a
compile time test to prevent mishaps. YMMV.

> Really, I'd say it's becoming reasonable to assume Unicode.

I wouldn't necessarily introduce it in chapter 1 in a beginners
book on C, though.

> [1]. Byte != char, some special purpose processors even today have 32-bit
> chars (ie, are unable to address individual bytes without bit twiddling)
> which is legal according to the C standard.

IOW: Those processors (that cannot directly address units < 32 bit
in width) sport 32-bit bytes! Processors have no notion of 'char',
and in C a char *is* a byte *is* a char. Always, non-negotiable.

Woof!
Urban