:: Re: [DNG] [OT] [Re: Studying C as t…
Top Pagina
Auteur: Edward Bartolo
Aan: KatolaZ, dng
Onderwerp: Re: [DNG] [OT] [Re: Studying C as told. (For help)
Hi,

I wrote:
<<
This is the previous version compressed by using another && operand in
the boolean expressions. The final sub-expression is an assignment,
which always evaluates to true provided the other two sub-expressions
evaluate to true. The final statement uses a similar strategy to
compress statements. The key is that a chain of && statements must be
always fully evaluated for the result of the whole expression to be
known. A chain of || only need a sub-expression to evaluate to true
for the result of the whole expression to be known.

I studied 'and' and 'or' boolean operators back when I studied Delphi
Pascal. I am embarrassed to have written such a stupid thing. It must
be due to the fact I wrote the email just before going to bed.

AND: requires ALL sub-expressions to be true to evaluate to true
i.e.   Q = A ^ B ^ C ^ .... D
        Q = 1 if and only if A = B = C = .... D = 1

OR: only requires ONE sub-exression to be true to evaluate to true
i.e.   Q = A v B v C v .... D
        Q = 1 if any Ai = 1

These properties are used by compilers to optimize on boolean
expression evaluation. If I remember well, there are also specific
algorithms to optimize boolean evaluation. I can mention boolean
expression simplification techniques as used to minimize the number of
gates used in logic circuits.

Thanks, Edward