:: Re: [DNG] (no subject)
Pàgina inicial
Autor: Edward Bartolo
A: Rainer Weikusat
CC: dng
Assumpte: Re: [DNG] (no subject)
Hi,

Rainer wrote:
<<
Conventional approach using a state variable:

--------
#include <stdio.h>

int main(void)
{
    int c, blanks;

    blanks = 0;
    while ((c = getchar()) != EOF) {
        if (blanks) {
            if (c == ' ') continue;
            blanks = 0;
        } else
            blanks = c == ' ';

        putchar(c);
    }

    return 0;
}

If a blank is already found, and c is yet another blank, jump to next
iteration. If not, set blanks to zero and place c in the output
stream.

If blank is set to zero, test whether c is a blank and assign the new
value to blank. Execute the next statement putchar(c).

I see the action of blank like a toggle switch. If the switch is on,
certain conditions apply, if not, other distinct conditions apply.

Rainer wrote:
<<
#include <stdio.h>

static void put_a_char(int);

static void (*process_char)(int) = put_a_char;

static void skip_blanks(int c)
{
    if (c == ' ') return;

    process_char = put_a_char;
    putchar(c);
}

static void put_a_char(int c)
{
    putchar(c);
    if (c == ' ') process_char = skip_blanks;
}

int main(void)
{
    int c;

    while ((c = getchar()) != EOF) process_char(c);

    return 0;
}

I will try although I may fail.

The main function:

a while loop repeatedly runs getchar assigning it to c and testing
whether it is an EOF. If not, process_char is called with c as
parameter passed by value.

Initially process_char is assigned put_a_char which calls putchar(c),
checks whether c is a space in which case it assigns process_char the
address of skip_blanks.

The next iteration must call skip_blanks, which returns immediately if
a blank is found. If not, c is not a blank, and the function pointer
is assigned the previous value. After this step putchar(c) is called.

Thanks, Edward.