:: Re: [DNG] Mini init script written …
Kezdőlap
Szerző: Brad Campbell
Dátum:
Címzett: dng
Tárgy: Re: [DNG] Mini init script written in Perl boots.
On 20/06/16 00:40, Steve Litt wrote:
> On Sun, 19 Jun 2016 17:18:48 +0200
> Edward Bartolo <edbarx@???> wrote:
>
>> So, I joined Devuan to contribute code. But, I am NOT appreciated, and
>> to be sincere, sometimes I even think about leaving the project
>> altogether. I am being denigrated just because I make a conscious
>> effort to write simple code.
>
> Whoaa, Edward,
>
> The words "I am not appreciated" are just not rational. The fact is, a
> lot of people appreciate you and your efforts, some don't. Please don't
> let your emotions change your perception of the true facts. Just keep
> plugging away at your code, accept help from those who cooperate, and
> ignore those who issue personal accusations. I'd suggest you keep all
> emotional content out of your emails and stick to tech. All the drama
> in the world won't change the content of an integer.

Yeah, wot 'e said.

I think the crux of the problem here Edward is a bit of
miscommunication. It was quite obvious to me that what you were out to
do was build a basic init system as a bit of an educational exercise. To
others it must have appeared that you were serious about writing an init
replacement, and their criticism (to me) appeared to be on that basis.

Personally I enjoy watching your process when you get into something. We
all learn differently and you appear to learn well in an
iterative/collaborative process that is verbose and visible. It's
different to the way *I* learn, but the world would be a boring place if
we were all the same.

Now, having said that I think the way you do what you do is actually
quite helpful as it makes the process transparent enough that you
provide some education to others as you go. No matter the ultimate
outcome, there is value in the process.

I spent some years writing cross platform tools for a uController that
only had windows tools. Ultimately the continual abuse I got for not
open-sourcing those tools and the process of managing expectations in a
forum style of environment drove me to a breakdown. The thing I've
subsequently learned is I'm not suited to that because I don't have a
thick enough hide not to take the criticism personally. I did learn
however that empty vessels make the most noise; and a text only
environment coupled with non-native english speakers often means gross
misunderstandings are the norm anytime it strays outside of the purely
technical.

On a personal level, keep doing what you are doing because I find it an
enjoyable read. Don't take it personally because it's not important, and
do it because you enjoy it. If you don't love every minute of the
process, find something else to do.

Regards,
Brad