:: Re: [DNG] Mini init script written …
Pàgina inicial
Autor: KatolaZ
A: dng
Assumpte: Re: [DNG] Mini init script written in Perl boots.
On Sat, Jun 18, 2016 at 02:50:04PM +0200, Edward Bartolo wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On DNG I was suggested a book or two about unix. The aim was to read
> about how processes are handled by the OS and what is important to
> understand to properly write code for unix. However, when I checked
> the prices I was let down: they are too expensive for me considering I
> am coding on a voluntary basis. A free book about the innards of unix
> and Linux, especially how processes are managed would be a highly
> interesting reading for me. I don't know whether there are free ebooks
> I can read and am afraid of vandalized ebooks that instead of giving
> fact they give misconceptions.
>
> The question is, can I read some *reliable* free ebook to enhance my
> knowledge of both Unix OSs and C?

My humble impression is that you need just 4 things:

- "The C programming language" (Kernighan & Ritchie),

- "C in a nutshell" (Prinz & Crawford),

- "The Unix programming environment" (Ritchie & Pike N.B.: *not the
one by Burgess*, which is a nice book but not even close to the
original UPE),

- "Advanced programming in the Unix environment" (Stevens & Rago).

I wouldn't look for anything else, because there is nothing more
accurate, precise, profund, clearly written, and to the point of these
books for whoever wants to start serious programming under unix, IMHO.

And remember: good things happen to those who can read(2) between the
lines, to those who can open(2) a browser and lseek(2) appropriately,
to those who can send(2) an email, and to those who can wait(2)... ;)

HND

KatolaZ