:: Re: [DNG] Mini init script written …
Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Edward Bartolo
To: dng
Betreff: Re: [DNG] Mini init script written in Perl boots.
Hi,

So, in essence I am being told to get away as otherwise I would be
ruining my reputation or coding broken code by design.

I will recount what I did when GRUB2 started insisting on using
scripts. As I have a multiboot system, I understood immediately that
the 'new' GRUB version could become a hassle everytime I upgraded a
kernel belonging to some installation among the many I have installed
on the same machine. I also wanted to avoid having the grub menu
changed every time GRUB was updated.

To avoid the above, I did a move similar to what I did with Felker's
init. I did away with the new rubbish and installed GRUB2 in a very
minimal Debian installation comprising only the base system and a root
account. Then, I used update-grub and finally edited
/boot/grub/grub.cfg to contain whatever OS menus I wanted. To avoid an
overwrite, I did a backup of grub.cfg. After that, whenever I upgrade
a kernel of whatever operating system I have installed, it displays
the same menu with the same items and with the same description as I
want them. This hack has been working reliably since Debian adopted
GRUB2 in Stable.

In essence, I am here being scolded at NOT to use my potential and
that my reasoning is irrational as if I am completely insane. I finish
by stating that repeatedly telling a person that their reasoning is
flawed without explaining what is wrong is a sign of abuse often
emanating from envy.

Edward