Til: dng
Emne: Re: [DNG] Mini init script written in Perl boots.
On Thu, 16 Jun 2016 14:14:48 -1000, Joel Roth wrote:
> I did a test with Memory::Usage, that reports the
> interpreter's virtual memory size as 22MB. Seems cheap
> to me.

Depends: It is not cheap compared to the whopping < 10 KB
executable size and < 200 byte of VSZ that suckless init[1]
cashes in on. Also, it's not really about memory footprint,
it's about complexity which comes at a cost.

After all, that's one important reason why sensible people
refuse to have systemd for PID1: Nobody in his right mind
places a highly complex MB-sized blob at the most prominent
position of the process tree.

[1] When statically linked with musl-libc. Sinit is an only
    slightly enhanced version of Felker's minimal init.

Regards
Urban

--
[…] we have to keep it crisp, disentangled and simple if we
refuse to be crushed by the complexities of our own making.