:: Re: [DNG] Mini init script written …
Pàgina inicial
Autor: Edward Bartolo
A: Adam Borowski
CC: dng
Assumpte: Re: [DNG] Mini init script written in Perl boots.
Hi,

Initially I started with C and still believe it is the best language
as it avoids having to link to external .so libraries and gcc
compiles efficient code. However, I was shown that there was interest
by some who wanted a script. Therefore, I produced a minimal
rudimentary Perl script that may be extended by anyone interested in
using it.

[ Lars Noodén wrote ]
<<
I see that on devuan jessie what I have
is ps showing 22 processes with a PPID of 1. So, when you say that this
perl script is minimal, do you mean that it would contain other fork
actions if it is to more closely emulate package sysvinit-core's
/sbin/init ?

PID 1 should fork only once to run the first script that loads the
operating system. Once execution enters the infinite loop there is no
way of it jumping to somewhere else. Therefore, only one child is
forked. This child should terminate on as soon as the OS loading
script terminates. On my system it behaves that way. Forking children
indefinitely in absolutely NOT minimal and is highly undesired
considering this should be minimal.

I think it is a mistake to expect a few lines of code written in
whatever language to outperform other init projects written in several
thousand lines of code that are well debugged and mature. The place
for these little scripts, as I see it, is for educational purposes and
to power small computers like the Raspberry Pi, and maybe, to power
the computer of enthusiast adolescent computer geeks who want to
understand what goes on inside their operating system. Mind you, this
is not a deep look inside what happens when an operating system boots,
but it is better than having nothing, or worse of being presented
with mystery where logic should prevail.

Edward