:: Re: [DNG] Installer Devuan Jessie 1…
Etusivu
Poista viesti
Vastaa
Lähettäjä: Robert Storey
Päiväys:
Vastaanottaja: dng
Aihe: Re: [DNG] Installer Devuan Jessie 1.0 fails
> Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2016 18:21:40 +0200
> From: <emninger@???>
> To: dng@???
> Subject: Re: [DNG] Installer Devuan Jessie 1.0 fails
>
> Am Wed, 15 Jun 2016 01:26:45 +0000
> schrieb Robert Storey <robert.storey@???>:

>> Hi Robert!
>>
>> Note that my following comments apply only to a graphical install,
>> full-desktop version, which is actually the only kind I've attempted
>> so I can't say what would happen with a minimal install in
>> text-mode...
>
> In the end i went back to your suggestion: But it fails as well. Would
> you say 10 attempts of installing, installing .... the base system
> are enough?
>
> On me it fails always at the same point and always with the same error.
> (For the record: libjson-c2 is needed by rsyslog but not installed).

It typically takes me about 3 or 4 attempts for the installer to succeed.
One thing to note: I have two ways of connecting to the Internet, either my
hard-wired ADSL or using my wifi with my smartphone as the wireless access
point. Where I live, my ADSL is very slow, the wifi/smart phone is faster.
And I noticed that I have greater success with the smart phone. I assume
that this is because there is less latency. I said "3 or 4 attempts for the
installer to succeed" and that is with the smart phone. On my slower ADSL,
it takes so long and times out so much that I give up in frustration.

Maybe closely related to this: I have my own little website (
http://outsideinn.tw) and when I upload graphic files to it using
Filezilla, I run into the same sort of issue - some files upload, but there
are timeouts and network error messages, but if I just re-run all the files
eventually upload. However, for this to succeed, I must choose the option
to "resume" (as opposed to the option "overwrite"), otherwise I will see
failure upon failure. Again, I think the issue is network latency - if I
choose smartphone/wifi which is faster than ADSL, I almost never see this
problem. If I'm not mistaken, the failure messages I am experiencing at the
slower speeds is the result of a network timeout.

I'm not a good programmer and thus not capable of writing a better
installer, but I would like to suggest the possibility of taking the Ubuntu
approach which allows the option to complete an installation with no
network connection, using files on the CD as the base. Then, an
update/upgrade after rebooting.

cheers,
Robert