:: Re: [DNG] Custom OS initiator. In n…
Top Pagina
Auteur: Edward Bartolo
Aan: Didier Kryn
CC: dng
Onderwerp: Re: [DNG] Custom OS initiator. In need of some hints...
Hi,

I am saying the child and parent at not the same at the point fork()
executes for the following reasons taken from "man 2 fork".

Quote taken from "man 2 fork": (Please not the *except*)
<<
      The new process, referred to as the child, is an  exact
duplicate  of  the
       calling  process,  referred  to as the parent, except for the following
       points:

       *  The child has its own unique process ID, and this PID does not match
          the ID of any existing process group (setpgid(2)).

       *  The  child's  parent  process ID is the same as the parent's process
          ID.

       *  The child does not inherit  its  parent's  memory  locks  (mlock(2),
          mlockall(2)).

       *  Process  resource  utilizations (getrusage(2)) and CPU time counters
          (times(2)) are reset to zero in the child.

       *  The child's set of pending  signals  is  initially  empty  (sigpend‐
          ing(2)).

       *  The  child  does  not  inherit semaphore adjustments from its parent
          (semop(2)).

       *  The child does not inherit process-associated record locks from  its
          parent  (fcntl(2)).   (On  the  other hand, it does inherit fcntl(2)
          open file description locks and flock(2) locks from its parent.)

       *  The child does not inherit timers  from  its  parent  (setitimer(2),
          alarm(2), timer_create(2)).

       *  The  child  does not inherit outstanding asynchronous I/O operations
          from its parent (aio_read(3), aio_write(3)), nor does it inherit any
          asynchronous I/O contexts from its parent (see io_setup(2)).

Further down the same manpage continues to list more differences. This
is why I am saying the child and parent differ in some aspects.

Edward