:: Re: [DNG] cosmetic installer issues
Top Pagina
Auteur: richard lucassen
Aan: dng
Onderwerp: Re: [DNG] cosmetic installer issues
On Wed, 15 Jun 2016 12:46:26 +0200
Jaromil <jaromil@???> wrote:

> > The only remarkable thing is a running avahi-daemon. But that's not
> > a big issue IMHO.
>
> yes, I'm having fun myself punching an apt-get remove --purge of
> avahi-daemon and dbus now and then, gives me a degree of satisfaction.
> :^) but we need to keep those packages in jessie. perhaps remove avahi
> from recommends?

$ cat /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/01norecommend
APT::Install-Recommends "0";
APT::Install-Suggests "0";

> the problem with removing any other package from
> devuan is that we don't want to diverge one single step from the
> initial mission of *just getting rid of systemd*. jessie should be
> just that. perhaps we can start recommending some pinning to avoid
> avahi and/or dbus and such things.

Not "getting rid of systemd" but "freedom of choice". If someone wants
to install Devuan with systemd, it's his or her choice. Although I
think that noone on this list will do that ;-)

But a few other things:

1) Wishlist: a real PXE installer like Debian is providing. Just an
intrd.gz and a vmlinuz that will guide you through the install process.
No need for USB sticks or CD drives. Running a PXE installer together
with an apt-cacher-ng saves time (internal network speed) and saves
bandwidth usage for the Devuan community.

2) Wouldn't it be better to use the same dir structure like the
Debian mirrors?:

ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/devuan/

compared to:

ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/debian/

R.

--
richard lucassen
http://contact.xaq.nl/