:: Re: [DNG] kill command does not mat…
Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Irrwahn
To: dng
Betreff: Re: [DNG] kill command does not match manual page.
On Tue, 14 Jun 2016 11:37:46 -0400, Hendrik Boom wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 14, 2016 at 04:59:55PM +0200, Irrwahn wrote:
>
>> BOOOM! I just halted your init by simply using #kill -TSTP 1.
>
> I'm trying to figure out what -TSTP means.

SIGTSTP is the stop signal sent from a terminal, usually by
pressing Ctrl-S. Ctrl-Q can be used to subsequently send a
SIGCONT.

> The option(s) isn't listed in the man page.
> The man page doesn't match the command.  IN particular, the man page
> tells me
>       kill --table
> should list the names of the possible signals but in fact, it just does

> root@notlookedfor:/home/hendrik# kill --table
> bash: kill: -table: invalid signal specification
> root@notlookedfor:/home/hendrik#
>
> So there's something to be fixed: either the shell's kill command,
> or the man page.

I used the -l option to get to the signal names. Following
your report I tried the --table (and the, according to the
manpage, equivalent -L) option and found you appear to be
right, either the man page or the kill command seems borked.

However, it wouldn't have helped much I'm afraif, because
AIUI it would have just generated a table listing signal
numbers and associated names. A list additionally containing
the meaning of the signals can be found via:
man 7 signal
(scroll a few pages down to get to it).

Regards
Urban