:: Re: [DNG] Custom OS initiator. In n…
Pàgina inicial
Autor: Steve Litt
A: dng
Assumpte: Re: [DNG] Custom OS initiator. In need of some hints...
On Mon, 13 Jun 2016 10:19:43 +0200
Tomasz Torcz <tomek@???> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 13, 2016 at 08:16:44AM +0200, Edward Bartolo wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > This is a question about implementing a minimal OS initiator. If
> > DNG's admins/mods deem this email is misplaced please delete it or
> > ignore it.
>
> If you really want to create yet another init, I can recommend this
> simple, step by step explanation of Linux' init responsibilities:
>
> https://felipec.wordpress.com/2013/11/04/init/

Edward, be aware that the preceding link represents a substantially
different philosophy about init than Rich Felker's PID1 and Suckless
Init PID1. The preceding link is *not* a minimal PID1. I could argue
either philosophy (but in truth I like Felker's model). The thing I'd
say to you is that if you're writing your first init, I'd have it
*only* spawn /etc/rc and spin (and in real life listen for signals and
act on them). Writing a PID1, writing the /etc/rc and the shutdown
script, and connecting it to s6 or runit is quite enough work for a
first stab. I'd keep PID1 ultra-simple on the first stab. Later you can
make something more like the referenced link.

SteveT

Steve Litt
June 2016 featured book: Troubleshooting: Why Bother?
http://www.troubleshooters.com/twb