:: Re: [DNG] package request
Pàgina inicial
Autor: Steve Litt
A: dng
Assumptes nous: [DNG] Palemoon profiles (was: package request)
Assumpte: Re: [DNG] package request
On Fri, 10 Jun 2016 15:23:41 +0200
Jaromil <jaromil@???> wrote:

> On Fri, 10 Jun 2016, emninger@??? wrote:
>
> > Would it be possible to package palemoon for devuan?
>
> Are there a reasons for that?
>
> I use palemoon myself on Devuan. Just downloaded their bundle and
> opened in /opt/palemoon, set the bin in PATH and ready for use. It
> also notices me for upstream updates.
>
> I'm open to debate, but personally incline (for this and other
> packages) to concentrate on the maintanance of a *core*, *base* Devuan
> system and leave to individuals and downstream maintain a bigger set
> of packages for specific uses.

In support of what you just said, Palemoon comes with a very nice
installer that seems to work perfectly, except that I get messages
about my missing libpepperflashplayer.so, which might just be a Void
Linux thang. When the "upstream" gives you an excellent installer, that
lessens the need for the distro to package it.

By the way, thanks to emninger for pointing out the existence of
Palemoon. If I can get it to get over this libpepperflashplayer.so
problem, it shows promise to be a decent browser in an era when every
other browser sucks bigtime.

SteveT

Steve Litt
June 2016 featured book: Troubleshooting: Why Bother?
http://www.troubleshooters.com/twb