:: Re: [DNG] package request
Top Pagina
Auteur: Steve Litt
Aan: dng
Onderwerp: Re: [DNG] package request
On Fri, 10 Jun 2016 14:37:09 +0000
Noel Torres <envite@???> wrote:

> Jaromil <jaromil@???> escribió:
>
> > On Fri, 10 Jun 2016, emninger@??? wrote:
> >
> >> Would it be possible to package palemoon for devuan?
> >
> > Are there a reasons for that?
> >
> > I use palemoon myself on Devuan. Just downloaded their bundle and
> > opened in /opt/palemoon, set the bin in PATH and ready for use. It
> > also notices me for upstream updates.
> >
> > I'm open to debate, but personally incline (for this and other
> > packages) to concentrate on the maintanance of a *core*, *base*
> > Devuan system and leave to individuals and downstream maintain a
> > bigger set of packages for specific uses.
>
> As a side note, it would be better to package it for Debian, to let
> it reach a wider audience. Then, we can get it from Debian ;)

I don't think it needs to be packaged at all, but packaging it for
Debian would, IMHO, be a mistake. We have enough work of our own
without doing theirs. Besides, they'll find a way to make it require
systemd, or do some of the other stupid stuff (tm) that Debian
packagers do. You should have seen what they did with VimOutliner. It
got to the point where we were telling people just to get it straight
from us (the VimOutliner project) rather than install Debian's screwy
version.

SteveT

Steve Litt
June 2016 featured book: Troubleshooting: Why Bother?
http://www.troubleshooters.com/twb