著者: Hendrik Boom
To: dng
題目: Re: [DNG] package request
On Fri, Jun 10, 2016 at 04:57:06PM +0200, emninger@??? wrote:
> Am Fri, 10 Jun 2016 14:36:05 +0000
> schrieb dng-request@???:
>
> > > Would it be possible to package palemoon for devuan?
> >
> > Are there a reasons for that?
> >
> > I use palemoon myself on Devuan. Just downloaded their bundle and
> > opened in /opt/palemoon, set the bin in PATH and ready for use. It
> > also notices me for upstream updates.
> >
> > I'm open to debate, but personally incline (for this and other
> > packages) to concentrate on the maintanance of a *core*, *base* Devuan
> > system and leave to individuals and downstream maintain a bigger set
> > of packages for specific uses.
>
> Hi Jaromil!
>
> Yes - and no ;)
>
> If i succeed in my attempt with jwm, i'd like to set palemoon as
> default browser; it's a bit hard if there is no package ...
>
> But for sure, it's correct what you say about keeping the core packages
> as small as possible. OTOH, i for one, would not mind if
> icewease/firefox would be substituted even in core by palemoon ... ;)
> (It's what i did, individually; after havin tried for a while both in
> parallel).
>
> Thanks in any case for your effort & cheers!

I cannot ue chrome on the web any more, because it is no longer
supported on my 32-bit devuan system. It still runs, but is a
security risk without security patches. Except, of course, on html
files I build myself on the local system -- I just don't put in popups
or ads or malware.

I use mathjax to display mathematics. It is acceptable on chrome, and
on midori.

It is ridiculously slow on iceweasel. Not only that, but
after it desplays my equations (it's a long document, bot just a small
note) it keeps blanking the screen and restoring it for a randoom
amount of time.

It's even *fast* on midori. I don't know about palemoon.

The main problems I've had with midori is that I haven't figured out
how to get it to import bookmarks from iceweasel of chrome, and I can't
figure out how to get is to sort local directories into alphabetical
order -- almost any reasonable alphaet would do.

If palemoon acts reasonably with mathjax, I'd be happy to welcome it
to the fold.

-- hendrik