:: Re: [DNG] LyX questions on LaTeX-co…
Góra strony
Autor: Steve Litt
Dla: lyx-users
CC: dng
Temat: Re: [DNG] LyX questions on LaTeX-community.org
On Thu, 9 Jun 2016 16:50:16 +1200
gordon cooper <gordon_cooper@???> wrote:

> On 09/06/16 02:59, Richard Heck wrote:
> >
> > Alternatively---here's a crazy idea---we could suspend the mailing
> > list and send people to the forum....
> >
> > Richard
> >

>     Perhaps not really crazy at all.  I  work in both mail lists and
> forums and I definitely prefer working in a forum.

> Although, a big problem here could be how best use the
> existing mail-list archive.

As soon as Fetchmail and a mail client and filters are set up, every
message of every mailing list to which one subscribes is presented, in
its proper folder, without human intervention.

With forums, one needs to remember to browse each forum, usually
requiring a login with a password. Often, much more often than mailing
lists, you're required to agree to pretty iffy legal terms, often
including your indemnifying (acting as an unpaid insurance company for)
the forum owners, and perhaps binding arbitration.

There's a reason mailing lists have gotten the Free Software movement
from 1992-present: It's easy, it's automatic, and the information comes
to you instead of having to go out and get it.

I can understand adding a Forum, but can't fathom the logic behind in
any way demoting an existing and well used mailing list.

I'm copying the Devuan mailing list because some of these same issues
have come up there.

Thanks,

SteveT

Steve Litt
June 2016 featured book: Troubleshooting: Why Bother?
http://www.troubleshooters.com/twb