:: Re: [DNG] Killing background proces…
Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Simon Walter
A: dng
Asunto: Re: [DNG] Killing background processes on logout [was Re: resolved]
linuxvoice.com/interview-lennart-poettering

It's an old article, but as I read, I realized how much I disagree with
Lennart. TBH, he sounds like an Apple fan.

Now we get controversial, because those who like to feel smart, yet
don't know much, feel empowered by AI. Those who don't feel smart, but
want to be smart, don't like AI, because it means they can't learn.
Admins and technicians alike need to be able to know what is going on.
So we hate AI. I hate it when a handful of the desktops in an office
running Windows >XP decide that the network is unsafe and just deny
access somehow with some undocumented mechanism. I can ping. I can
resolve. But none of the desktop programs work because of the yellow
exclamation mark. Some command line fu to force the system into a state,
and we're back in business.

A few choice quotes:
"The Unix misconception is a pretty interesting one, because most people
who say Systemd is un-Unixish have no idea what Unix is actually like.

What’s typical for Unix, for example, is that all the tools, the C
library, the kernel, are all maintained in the same repository, right?
And they’re released in sync, have the same coding style, the same build
infrastructure, the same release cycles – everything’s the same. So you
get the entire central part of the operating system like that. If people
claim that, because we stick a lot of things into the Systemd
repository, then it’s un-Unixish, then it’s absolutely the opposite.
It’s more Unix-ish than Linux ever was!"

Nice one pulling the wool over the reporters eyes. What people mean by
un-Unixish has nothing about releasing code and coding style. It has
everything to do with one tool for one job. Lennart knows this and he is
being intellectually and academically dishonest. I wouldn't hire him.
Well, he does seem sly enough for sales.

"We thought: if you want to solve this properly, then you need to let
the computer do these things. And this had lots of different effects:
for example, Upstart always maximised what happened on the system, while
we think you always have to minimise what happens."

I don't like Upstart or Cannonical, but, here he says what most admins
do not like. Why would you want to minimize what happens? He is like the
new Steve Jobs. "You shall like what I decide is best for you. You don't
need options. I know how everyone will use the machine." These guys just
want to be worshiped. They don't play well with the other kids.

Simon