:: Re: [DNG] resolved
Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Rainer Weikusat
A: dng
Asunto: Re: [DNG] resolved
Jaromil <jaromil@???> writes:
> On Wed, 08 Jun 2016, Edward Bartolo wrote:
>> In short, I am afraid making assumptions the tempest will settle
>> down, is a mistake.
>
> the tempest is raging out there. today there is a fine piece by Corbet
> resuming the state of affairs on LWN, which I got as a subscriber (and
> I do recommend subscribing to LWN, is the best source of news out
> there)
>
> fortunately they have a link to offer to non-subscribers, I'm not sure
> it will expire, however see here
> https://lwn.net/SubscriberLink/690151/721a817ed6377ec3/

(loaded) Summary: $person thinks user shouldn't be allowed to run
background jobs. Because $person thinks so, taking this capability away
equals technical progress (likewise, people really shouldn't be allowed
to use flushing toilets because that's a Waste(!!) of water, hence,
forcing them to use pit latrines is technical progress because it's a
change from the common pattern). It's up to distributions to decide if
their users should be allowed to run background jobs, though, and GNOME
users won't be affected, anyway, because they never log out. Plus some
more blabla of the usual kind, "stupid old farts resistant to change"
etc.

I've occasionally been thinking about getting a LWN subscription ever
since it became subscription-only, the reason this never happened is
because it is (or used to be) restricted to credit card owners and
registered PayPal users. I won't be considering this any more.